Sunday, October 16, 2011

Way Down Yonder in New Orleans

This morning, I woke up with swollen feet, fished out two lingering bobby pins in my hair, and had to peel of the rest of the glue stuck in my eyelashes. I was held together with hairspray, duct tape, and pins. Duct tape? Did she say duct tape? Yes. Duct tape. Don't ask.

Yesterday, I was a bridesmaid in one of my very bestest friend's wedding and was fortunate enough to be able to see her marry her best friend. The bride was stunning, the wedding was beautiful, the reception was fun, and I still have a slight smile curling at the edge of my mouth, thinking of the event. It was a wonderful day.

In all honesty, I had been dreading going. I am not the biggest fans of weddings (or the wedding industry in this country...). And especially knowing it was during the time of my big move, I was mentally resisting jumping in and enjoying myself. I have too much to do! I need to just get through this! But the wedding was in New Orleans and it is hard to not have a hard time in New Orleans (and no, I was not intoxicated for most of the time, contrary to the steroetype).

Besides just being able to share a special time with close friends and family, I especially appreciate that I was privy to an event (well, a series of events) that demonstrated the uniqueness of NOLA and Louisiana. Being the dork that I am, I am aware of where some of these traditions historically, culturally, and geographically come from. But to participate in these events, things like a cake pull or second line, is different than reading about them in a book. I am excited to move to Louisiana and be a part of this place. I have one week left in Tennessee. I have every intention of enjoying my last few days in The Volunteer State before I head back down south.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: