Thursday, October 27, 2011

Boudin (pronounced boo-dahn)

Growing up all over the United States (and parts of the world), I have had my fair share of cultural exposure. Food, family-style, dancing, traditions, music, holidays, religions (throw all of that into a blender and you get what is called "culture"). South Louisiana has a particularly distinct culture (a culture of which is now my job to interpret). Part of its distinct culture is the food.

I have yet to try local fare (I have been busy settling in). But I have to be familiar with the terms and what they are, because as it turns out, Cajuns not only like to eat good food but they also like to talk about good food. It may have been my mistake to ask "what is boudin?" without trying to google it first (and learn about the proper pronounciation). That question provided a half-hour answer, with four different people contributing. It is a type of spice and rice-filled sausage that you can traditionally purchase from a meat market. I was informed where I should get it, what parts I should eat (there was debate on whether the casing is good or not), and what I can make with it if I decided I did not want to eat it. I think the first place I will try it from is a place called NuNus. Because the place is called NuNus.

Later, I met a guy (about 19 or 20) who found out I was not from here. His comment: "Oh, I heard all the food up north is bland." Is that code for something? Maybe he doesn't realize that Minnesota is really the only place in the US where people eat lutefisk (best served with lots of butter) and indeed, other regions eat spicy food.

On a side, I did not go on a boat tour of the bayou but MAYBE will get to do so today!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: