Monday, April 11, 2011

something charming in the sound

"I heard the bullets whistle, and, believe me, there is something charming in the sound." -George Washington

Mr. Washington wrote that to his brother about some of his battle experiences during the French and Indian War. I have been pondering that all week. On its surface, it is just a soldier recounting his war stories. But to pull back a layer and to think how "there is something charming in the sound," makes me wonder where the charm comes from? I like to think that in the heat of battle, the charm comes from the fact that he can still hear each of the bullets as they whistle past his head. Washington stayed alive through what even could have felt like hell at the time.

I most certainly am not comparing my life to war or battle or hell. But I am definitely not walking through the easiest part of my journey. So I think of whistling bullets and their charming sound. And will myself to be thankful for still hearing them.

No comments: