Monday, December 12, 2011

white gravy and gumbo

At first I found it amusing when people were shocked when I have not devoured massive amounts of gumbo over the course of my life time. In fact, I am pretty sure I can count the number of servings of gumbo I have had in my lifetime on one hand. It got old rather quickly, however, and I began finding myself thinking "gumbo is a fairly regional dish, guys! And I've never lived here before!" Doh!

While talking to a coworker today, it came up in conversation (as I was clarifying some facts about gumbo to tentatively include in the Junior Ranger program), and I said out loud, "why is it people are so surprised about my lack of gumbo-eating!? don't the realize the regional ties to the stuff??" We continued discussing regional foods and white gravy came up.

I don't know how you feel about white gravy (another coworker called it "slop,"- obviously she is not a fan), but I LOVE it. If I go through the efforts to make a breakfast, I usually try to include biscuits and gravy (and bacon, but THAT'S a no-brainer). I love white gravy on chicken fried steak. And if at all possible, I love to dip chicken tenders with a side of Texas Toast in white gravy. Mmm mmm mm mmmm, delicious. I know, I know. My arteries hardened just a little reading that, too. Anyways, I come to find out biscuits and gravy are not all that popular around here. In fact, traditionally, cornbread was more likely to be served with meals than biscuits.

WHAT?! No biscuits and gravy?! What is this world coming to?! These poor south Louisianans are clearly missing out! Then it dawned on me. How is my reaction any different than those who are surprised at my gumbo-less lifestyle? Biscuits and gravy are fairly regional in themselves (thank goodness the great state of Tennessee found itself in that region). It was an eye-opener for me. I will try to embrace the shock I recieve when I share my life story via gumbo-eating with locals.

Incidently, I have been craving fluffy biscuits drowning in some gravy all afternoon. With some bacon. Of course.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: