Monday, April 6, 2009

Some Processing

Tonight I am invited to "guest lecture" about the Pacific trip in an American history class. The professor just wants me to show some pictures or film and talk about what I saw on the islands I visited, as he is about to cover WWII history in his class. So I have been reviewing film and photos (and archival footage) to assemble some sort of presentation for the class.

It is still hard for me to believe that I walked on those beaches. It is difficult for me to switch to and from the archival footage to the current day footage because I get caught up in the realization that those are the same land masses, though usually time has caused them to look much different now than they did during the war. I was talking to someone the other day about the trip, and she asked me why I went (a common question) and what the trip meant to me (an uncommon question). I realized that I still have a lot more processing to do about how this trip affected me and my decisions of how I will live out my life in the days (and weeks and months and probably years) to come.

No comments: