Thursday, July 5, 2012

come on, creativity

Sometimes when I sit down to write, I can't think of anything to write about. I believe this is called "writer's block." My disciplined self wants to write, understanding you only get better at sometime with practice. My creative self wants to write, too, but sometimes lacks inspiration. I don't think I have a muse. I don't even know where I get my inspiration. As I have mentioned before, I used to use this blog as a place to get my writing juices flowing before I would work on my thesis. So my motivation to write here came from my motivation to finish my thesis. But I don't necessarily know where I got my inspiration.

I like to see creativity in its many forms. I am currently visiting with my sister and [awesomest] brother-in-law [ever]. They are fans of geeky stuff like comics and gaming (a different kind of geeky than me). I may not be a fan of the geeky stuff like they are, but I do appreciate the creativity behind the stories, the art, and the overall engagement that happens among the geekiness. I wonder where those folks (the writers, the designers, the artists, etc.) get their creativity from?

I suppose philosophers have been wondering about this for centuries. Where does creativity come from? I can't say "it just happens" but sometimes it just does. So when it just doesn't happen, I feel stuck. Come on, creativity! I need you to happen.

No comments: