Saturday, May 28, 2011

sunshine for cloudy days

Explore. Learn. Protect. Become a Junior Ranger.

Regardless of how my day might be going at work (busy, hectic, stressful, insane, etc), my sunshine always rests in seeing kids' beaming faces, especially after they become a Junior Ranger. Today, hundreds of boy and girl scouts descended upon the battlefield in order to help place flags in our national cemetery; we had lots of opportunities for kids to become Junior Rangers.

Today my extra special sunshine radiated from two Brownie Girl Scouts-turned-Junior Rangers. One activity requires kids to learn about the cedar glades found within the park. When the girls asked me about it, I took a moment to step outside and talk to them about the glades, plants, and why we have to protect these things. I pull all sorts of joy from experiencing learning moments from kids. It is why I do what I do.

I have to keep that moment in my pocket for future retrieval, especially as I finish my thesis. Having my professor tell me that she did not have faith in my ability to finish in in time to graduate in August shook me up this week. She doesn't know what is coming. I will do everything in my power to graduate on time. As in the words of Queen Victoria: We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist. I know what I want to do. I know that my thesis sits as my last hurdle. I will get this done. And I will continue to do my best to spark kids' interests in things that are not plugged into walls.

No comments: