Sunday, January 8, 2012

It's beginning to look a lot like Mardi Gras

I have met several local people who have expressed that they are usually more excited about celebrating Mardi Gras season than the Christmas season. The season officially began on Twelfth Night, (aka Epiphany or January 6th). That is when the trees come down and the purple, green, and gold starts to come out. 'Tis the season of King Cake and balls, of parades and masks, of amplified festivities and fun. Mardi Gras celebrations vary depending on what part of South Louisiana they take place.

Since I am still learning about the customs, I will just have to keep you posted throughout the next several weeks about the traditions and celebrations. Today my coworker tried explaining to me about the various aspects of a Krewe's court. There are many rules; I learned sadly that I am too old to be a Krewe Queen. A Krewe is a social organization that basically revolves around planning, designing, and implementing festivities and traditions related to Mardi Gras celebrations (specifically, I understand, to designing and manning floats in the various parades). Pagentry is a huge part of these customs and planning can sometimes take over a year.

I am looking forward to seeing how this season continues. I find myself the odd one out, as I don't share the enthusiasm for the season. King Cake is delicious, and I am a fan of pagentry and things that sparkle. But I feel like an outsider, an inquisitive being peering into another world- a Mardi Gras snow globe. I will just have to wait and see what I find during this discovery process.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: