Saturday, May 12, 2012

running in circles

I have discovered a new reason to keep up my cardio. As if training in preparation for the zombie apocalypse was not enough of a reason, I recently found out alligators have the potential to provide a good reason to run, too.

Some coworkers and I this week were chatting about alligator stories (they were telling me that if I had a dog, I should keep this dog on a short leash). Then one of them piped in about running in circles, and I chuckled in response. She looked at me and said, "no, sweetie- if an alligator chases you, you need to seriously run in circles because it won't be able to follow you because of the physics of its body length."

"Alligators can chase you? Like, out of the water?" I asked.

"Oh, yeah!" the other coworker replied. "I always stay aware of my surroundings when out at Lake Martin, mindful of the closest trees. They can't climb trees." I just stared at them. After all I read about the scientific side of alligators, my understanding of their "30 mph" was the launch rate at their prey. Turns out, that is an alligator's top speed on land.

Aw, hell no!

I need to work on my speed when I go around curves, evidently.


No comments: