Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Day is Lei Day

Where did April go? I wasn't finished with my "to-do" list for April! I can't believe it is already May. I do this to myself every month, but I still can't believe it. 

Every May 1st, I think "Oh, hey! It is May Day!" and that prompts the song "May Day is Lei Day in Hawai'i." I am singing it right now, in fact. I don't know the roots of May Day, actually. What? Trivia girl admits to not knowing something?? Historically related, at that?? What I do remember about the day comes from living in Hawai'i when I was in first grade. Our school had a Hawai'i Day on May 1st, in which we all wore our muumuus and leis and ate traditional Hawai'ian foods and probably did some dancing. My class performed the song "May Day is Lei Day in Hawai'i" (in my head it is "Hawaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"). I don't remember why we sang that song or chose May 1st to have the festival at school (besides the fact that "May" and "lei" rhyme). And even after I post this and do some quick searches on the origins of the day, I will still have that song (in my 6-year-old voice) stuck in my head. 

Me and siblings in Hawai'i.
And if it looks like my sister is about to hit somebody with that branch,
it is probably because she was about to hit somebody with that branch.

No comments: