Friday, January 11, 2013

long runs

I forgot what it felt like to complete a longer run. I forgot about the sweaty toes and damp shoes and the peeling off of socks. I forgot about the soaked bandana that kept the moisture from dripping into my eyes. I forgot how even the deepest breaths don't seem to suffice, that my lungs crave more oxygen. I forgot how my legs want to keep moving after running for that long.

And I love every minute of it.

Maybe it is the endorphins, maybe it is that so-called "runner's high," but I can't help it. It is a form of addiction. The addiction isn't just the run itself, nor the various feelings associated with the run. It is the "I can do better today." It is the "oh, yeah, hill? you think you can beat me? watch this." It each how each minor improvement can be recorded as a major success because I am that much closer to my goal.

I haven't trained for a long run in nearly a year. Now with the Oak Barrel Half coming up in April, I have been gearing up with my serious training, kickin' some booty. I am considering that half marathon as a part of my training for the Ragnar Relay in June (from Madison, Wisconsin to Chicago, Illinois). I wanted to run in a Ragnar Relay for years and this will be my first time. I am stoked and minorly terrified all at the same time (mostly because of the team aspect... it is one thing to let myself down, another to let a team down).

I keep pushing one day at a time.

Bring it.

No comments: